Yes, you read that correctly, there are major benefits to drinking coffee. So before you think you need to give up your favorite beverage, maybe you just need to alter what you buy and how you drink it. Eighty three percent of adults drink coffee every single day. Independent coffee shops equal 12 billion in sales every year, and as Americans we consume 400 million, yes…million cups of coffee a day. That makes us the leading consumer of coffee in the entire world. Now I don’t know if that is necessarily a good thing, but I do know that this is something we need to talk about. Because if you buy the right kind, and drink coffee the proper way, there are many incredible health benefits to drinking coffee. God made the coffee bean, but God did not make all of the added fake sugars and syrups that have been put into coffee. So, I have listed some of the incredible benefits you can get from coffee, but first we need to talk about what type of coffee you should buy, and what ingredients you must avoid putting in your favorite cup of Joe.
What to Buy
There are so many brands, styles and flavors out there it can be very overwhelming to know what is the healthiest coffee to buy. I am going to break it down for you and make it as simple as possible.
- Choosing Organic is very important when it comes to coffee. Conventional coffee is easily sprayed with pesticides and is laced with chemicals. There are many organic options out there to choose from making it easier to fit organic coffee into your budget. Buying organic also means farmer safety, which is just as important as our own safety.
- Ethical Coffee means that it is grown in the shade which prevents soil erosion. Having higher ethical policies means a better product.
- Fair Trade is also very important. Why? Because fair trade is certification that means the organization that made this coffee is in accordance with the Fair Trade Standards. They use sustainable environmental farmers and they seek greater equity in fair trade. This also means that the price is guaranteeing a fair wage for farmers. That is huge!
What to Put In
- Honey – Instead of using sugars try raw, unfiltered honey. Honey is a natural sugar that is full of antioxidants and phytonutrients that gives your body many health benefits and a boost of energy.
- Stevia or Xylitol – These are much better options to sweeten your coffee than processed white sugar.
- Organic Cream – Half and half is very processed and the store bought coffee creamers are full of chemicals. But organic cream is not heavily processed and is not full of pesticides.
- Coconut/Almond Creamers – For those of us who are avoiding dairy, these nut based creams offer a delicious alternative without sacrificing flavor.
- Natural flavors – Organic vanilla extract is a great treat to get some fun flavor. And if you love pumpkin spiced lattes, you can actually add pumpkin puree in a blender with coffee, pumpkin pie spice and whole milk for a delicious and healthy twist on a classic fall beverage that is not full of sugars and syrups.
1. Antioxidant Booster
One of the biggest benefits to drinking coffee is that it contains a high amount of antioxidants. Every day we are constantly being exposed to toxins and chemicals so having a daily dose of antioxidants in our food and drinks is crucial to our overall health. Antioxidants help our body expel the toxins that we take in and they fight the aging process. In fact, coffee is considered the #1 beverage for anti-aging! It has been proven in recent studies that coffee contains more antioxidants that green tea, herbal tea, and cocoa.
2. Supports Your Brain and Memory
Recent studies conducted by Harvard have found that drinking coffee not only gives your brain an instant jolt, but it also has long term effects. It can improve cognitive thinking and strengthen your memory. It also has been used to treat Alzheimers. Coffee has also been shown to increase blood flow to the brain making this a great source of brain power. Know that it is best to drink coffee in the morning or before lunch as it can effect your sleep cycle.
3. Protects the Liver
Drinking coffee can reverse liver damage! Studies have been done with over 430,000 participants that drinking coffee can lower your risk of developing liver cirrhosis. People don’t often think about the liver as much as they do the heart, but the liver is one of the most crucial and important organs in the body. And it must be taken care of. Liver disease is on the rise in the US and is one of the most common disease-related deaths. Not comforting is it? But the good news is that drinking your coffee will lower your risk of liver damage by up to 70%. And studies also found that it can lower your risk of liver cancer by 40%.
Check out our friends at Camano Island Coffee
|Stop using creamers and switch to a healthier alternative for flavoring and sweetener
|Buy organic coffee
|Buy organic and fair trade coffee that supports farmers and is safer for your body