Eat Your Sunscreen
And just like that it is officially summer! The season of the year that’s full of longer days and beautiful sunsets. Cold drinks on hot afternoons, and extra time to relax and be with family and friends! Now I am sure we all have plans this summer to go to the beach, head out on vacation, and spend some mornings out on the boat. All of those activities have one thing in common, sunscreen! In this article I will explore the dangerous chemicals in many mainstream sunscreens and discuss five foods that act as natural sunscreen.
We have been programmed that whenever we go outside we must lather on our sunscreen. Sunscreen comes in lotions, in spray bottles for easier and quicker application. They come in all different senses and in different strengths. Ladies and gentlemen, it is now always an ingredient in moisturizers and your makeup. Sunscreen has always been seen as a good thing, a necessary step in taking care of your skin. So if that is true, then why are 2 million Americans diagnosed with skin cancer every year?
Dangers of Some Sunscreens
The reality is that our sunscreens are filled with toxins. A recent study was conducted that some common sunscreen ingredients such as PABA, methoxycinnamate, and oxybenzone are chemicals that have been linked to cancer. Other sunscreen ingredients may also absorb into the blood stream, act like estrogen and disrupt hormones, and cause allergic reactions and skin irritations. Also, the FDA has not established any safety standards for sunscreen ingredients. I don’t think I want that on me or on my children!
So instead of wearing your sunscreen, I am going to share with you some foods that you can eat that will naturally increase your skin’s protective defense against excessive sun exposure. I do want to clarify that the sun does not cause cancer; too much sun and being burned are the unhealthy issues related to the sun. But the sun itself is incredibly important. The sun helps our bodies generate Vitamin D3, which most people are deficient in, and when you wear sunscreen you are blocking all D3 absorption.
5 Foods to Help Protect Against the Sun
So, to get all the good nutrients from the sun through natural sunscreen. Avoid using toxin filled products (or at least decrease the amount needed). Try these 5 foods that will help your skin function the way God designed it to!
- Citrus Fruits – In all of the states that have a high sun exposure there are citrus fruits that are grown there. And God did that on purpose! Fruits like limes, lemons, and oranges are high in vitamin C, which protects your skin against the sun as kind of natural sunscreen. If you are getting Vitamin C from natural sources it will decrease your chances of skin cancer by 34%.
- Strawberries – They are also packed with vitamin C but they also have tannins. Tannins help you tan and increases your own bodies natural SPFs. Also, strawberries can be used to sooth sunburns (mash them up and use on your skin).
- Green Tea – If you drink 2 cups a day it will help protect you from the sun by increasing catechins. Catechins are antioxidants that not only help with sun exposure but they detoxify cell-damaging free radicals, and as a plus they aid in weight loss (aka – look better in your bathing suite).
- Pomegranates – And other dark colored fruits are rich in antioxidants and have anti-inflammatory agents. They also help your skin to resist cell damage caused by UVA rays.
- Fish Oil, Coconut Oil, and Raw Butter – Increasing your oil intake will help protect your skin against the sun damage and help hydrate your skin.
Be Safe When Soaking Up The Sun
Adding these 5 foods to your summer lifestyle will support your skin’s natural defense against the sun’s rays. It will also increase antioxidants while allowing your body to absorb Vitamin D3 from the sun. You can begin to switch your family’s health not just in the foods they eat but also in any products you use on their skin.
Make the switch this summer, use natural sunscreen and watch the health benefits shine through!
(If you will be in the sun for extended periods load up on these 5 and use a healthy non-toxic sunscreen)
Dr. Raul Serrano